Diving right in...
I'm still in the process of sorting everything out from the Tour. As always happens, there was some confusion (say it ain't so!) on the day of the event so it takes me a while to chew through it all.
Top of the list: I know there was some jersey sizes that didn't come together and I'm working on getting them traded in. If you didn't get the right one or didn't get one at all, please shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to remind me what you need and I'll get it fixed as soon as I can. I think I have the info but a refresher would help. Bear with me guys!
Also as I mentioned before, if you still have donations coming in, you can send them directly to ADA attn: Shana Vono at their office address:
6390 Fly Road, Second Floor
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Any donations received before Sept. 18th count toward the 2012 total so keep 'em coming and boost us past the $20,000 mark! We're really close and just need a little push to go over the top!
2013: There's a lot of us that are hot to sign up for next year and get the ball rolling. ADA hasn't officially set the date yet but right now it looks like it'll be the same weekend in August. There's a move floating of changing it to Sunday (which I hope doesn't happen...more on that later). Also there's the possibility of adding another route in between the 10 miler and the 35 so there would be an option to ride a little farther without climbing the notorious Steuben St. hill out of town. Lots of things in the works and as always, if you have ideas or comments, let me have 'em or better yet...volunteer and help us make it better!
Onward and Upward...
A group of team members got together at the captain's place yesterday and batted around a lot of ideas for Team NS next year (already). Here's a few of the highlights:
- We settled on keeping our core fundraisers going next year. The Crop-de-Cure, Bikes Bands and BBQ, the ADA Rally motorcycle ride and the PowerTrain Express train ride. Not that that means we won't be doing other stuff! It just makes sense to build on events we have established and grow them rather than keep adding a bunch of new ones. That'll give us pretty much one each month through the spring and summer along with any others that come along. There was a ton of ideas for more fundraisers and if anyone wants to take on a new event, we'll be more than happy to help! Just let me know what you want to do!
- Chris Vandruff and Charlie Juda have graciously offered to run team training rides at various places and times. Chris will do road work and Charlie will host rides on the Catharine Valley Trail. More info on these as things develop. One of the hardest things to pull off is team rides so having these guys take charge of it is a big help.
- We batted around the idea of having a team kickoff event either after ADA sets our date for next year this fall or maybe in the spring. I know it's sometimes hard to get very many people together in one place but as we keep growing, it'll help keep us a team instead of a contact list with no faces. I know I miss not being able to see everyone on Tour day so maybe this'll be a way to meet more of you guys.
- All of us agreed that we should shoot for at least 75 riders next year and raise the bar again on fundraising. We did absolutely fantastic this year but there's no standing still and no going back! We're the best and the only thing to do is keep it that way! We want Team NS to be the team to beat and the team to join for anyone on the Finger Lakes Tour.
- As we continue to grow, we'll be lobbying for some changes for just one example...we'd like to see registration for our troops at our team tent become one of the perks of membership. There's some others knocking around so stay tuned.
- Another change we talked about is that next year there'll probably be a fundraising threshold for team jerseys. Unfortunately, we had a few people sign up and receive jerseys but then never show at the Tour and never do any fundraising at all. To keep jerseys coming from the carrier, we probably will have to limit them to people who participate and at least make their minimum donation.
There's more coming along and I'll post more as we get 2012 closed out and 2013 rolling so keep checking in to see what's new!
As I hinted above, it looks like the 2013 Tour will be held the same weekend in August as this year. The catch is that there is a possibility that it could be on Sunday. Any comments on that?
All of us last night were pretty much in agreement that Saturday is far and away the better day so if were missing some advantage to Sunday, let me know. Personally, it would be really tough for me but I'm not everybody so hit me with opinions.
And With That...
I'm closing up shop for a bit and heading over to the setup page to tinker with links and stuff. I might need a webmaster soon...
More to Follow!